For the final professional development session of the 2017 Opportunity Greensboro Fellows Program, Stearns Financial Group (series sponsor) led a session on personal finance. Presenter Andy Clark, CFP®, moved to Greensboro with his family in April 2016 from upstate New York and as a young professional, Andy enjoyed meeting and engaging with the Fellows.
Andy covered a plethora of important information related to personal finance, and below are a few key points he made for the Fellows:
- Discipline matters
- Bucket budgeting is a good tactic to use when budgeting
- Start early with your investments because time is your friend!
- Stay consistent with your investments
- Think: location, location, location when considering buying a house
- If you are a first-time homeowner, consider a multi-unit dwelling
- Build an emergency fund with 6-9 months of monthly expenses
The Fellows learned about many facets of personal finance and asked great questions. As Andy stated in the beginning of the presentation, everyone’s personal financial situation is different, but knowledge of personal finance is extremely important.
Thank you again to Stearns Financial Group for sponsoring the professional development series this summer! The Fellows enjoyed all three sessions: young alumni panel, LinkedIn Workshop, and personal finance.
After the personal finance session, the Fellows headed over to Revolution Mill for dinner at Cugino Forno! For almost all of the Fellows who came to dinner, it was their first time checking out Revolution Mill – they all loved seeing part of Greensboro they didn’t know existed, and of course they loved the pizza.