Please meet today’s Featured Fellow, Jaiza Wesley!
Jaiza Wesley is originally from Olympia, Washington, and came to NC to attend Bennett College. As a rising senior at Bennett, Jaiza is studying psychology with a minor in sociology. In the future, Jaiza aspires to work with policy making or as a college professor. In Greensboro, Jaiza appreciates the sense of community and enjoys the downtown area. This summer, Jaiza is interning at Cone Health’s Community Health and Wellness Center.
Jaiza shares about her internship experience at Cone Health – The Community Health and Wellness Center:
In November of 2013, the clinic was created for the sole purpose of providing primary care to the uninsured population of Guilford County who lacked a medical home. Since it’s opening, the clinic has established over 4,500 patients and has conducted over 8,500 visits. During my first week, I had the opportunity to shadow all the different departments (Pharmacy, Referral, Reception, Scheduling, Financial counselors, Social worker, etc.). I have been working closely with my manager, Jamilla Pinder, who is the manager over the clinic on projects and assignments.
Project and assignments I have worked on include:
- Preparing for meetings, taking minutes, and dispersing to attendees
- One-Page flyers regarding services the clinic offers
- Power Point: Lean Process for Pharmacy Project
- Creating a Pharmacy delivery system for patients who do not have transportation
- Created survey to see what times work best for patients/area codes/who takes insulin (will need to be kept cold when delivered)/who would utilize this program
- Contacted delivery companies
- Contracting with Handicap Transportation Company for our Transitional Care Center (TCC). I was in charge of not only contacting different companies to determine rates, but also meeting with them here at the clinic to get the best deal possible
- Data collection/analysis